Today, the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors appointed a citizen panel to begin the process of filling the Arizona House vacancy in Legislative District 30. District 30 covers west central Phoenix and Glendale.
The following people were chosen to sit on the panel:
- Daniel Valenzuela – Former Phoenix City Councilman / Firefighter
- Quanta Marie Crew – LD 30 Resident
- Monica Sandschafer – LD 30 Resident
- Mario Ayala – City of Phoenix
- Molly McGovern – United Food and Commercial Work #99
- Guadalupe Sosa – LD 30 Precinct Committeeperson/ Former Senate Minority Staff
- Jan Nichols – LD 30 Precinct Committeeperson/ Retired Teacher
In accordance with Arizona law, a citizen panel is required for a vacancy in a district in which there are fewer than 30 elected precinct committeemen. LD-30 has 29.
The citizen panel will review applications and submit three names of qualified electors to the Board for consideration. Those electors must live in the district and be of the same party as the person who vacated the office. In this case, a Democrat. The Board of Supervisors will consider the list of electors and by a majority vote, choose a person to fill the vacancy.
Anyone interested in the position can send their cover letters and resumes to the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by direct mail to Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, 301 W. Jefferson, Phoenix, AZ 85003. Background checks will be conducted. All applications are due by October 11, 2021. All submissions are considered public records.