Floodplain Review Board Process
Floodplain Review Board Schedule
All Regular Flood Control Advisory Board (FCAB) meetings are held at 2:00 pm, in the New River Conference Room of the Flood Control District of Maricopa County located at 2801 West Durango Street, Phoenix AZ.
Meetings are held the fourth Wednesday of each month, except for December when the meeting will be held on the first Wednesday of the month. Meetings will not be scheduled in July or November, unless called by the Chairman of the FCAB.
Applications should be submitted to the Floodplain Administrator at least 30 calendar days prior to the FCAB scheduled meeting date in order for the information to be reviewed by staff and placed on the agenda if all of the information is complete.
|Meeting Date||Application Submittal Deadline||15 Day Notification, Post||5 Day Notification
|January 23||December 21, 2018||January 7||January 17|
|February 27||January 21||February 11||February 20|
|March 27||February 21||March 11||March 20|
|April 24||March 22||April 8||April 17|
|May 22||April 19||May 6||May 15|
|June 26||May 24||June 10||June 20|
|July - No Meeting||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|August 28||July 19||August 5||August 15|
|September 25||August 23||September 9||September 19|
|October 23||September 20||October 7||October 17|
|November - No Meeting||N/A||N/A
|December 4||November 1||November 18||November 28|
|January 22, 2020||December 20, 2019||January 6, 2019||January 16, 2019|
Floodplain Administrator Process
After it has been determined that the initial submittal is complete and the fee has been paid a receipt will be issued and a case number assigned.
The Floodplain Administrator will review the application and determine if the Variance request for relief from the Floodplain Regulations may be issued by the Floodplain Administrator or should be sent to the Floodplain Review Board. If handled administratively the process is as follows.
Staff will submit a summary report and all information provided by the applicant to the Floodplain Administrator within 3-5 working days of receipt of application. The Floodplain Administrator will review and grant or deny the application for Variance within 5 working days of receipt of report and background information from District staff.
Review Board Process
- The Floodplain Administrator shall set a Hearing Date for the Variance to be heard before the Floodplain Review Board. Hearing dates shall coincide with the Flood Control Advisory Board (FCAB) schedule or at another time as deemed necessary. Meetings are scheduled for the fourth Wednesday of every month. See attached schedule for current meetings.
- Fifteen (15) days before the Hearing, a notice shall be sent to parties in interest and the public by posting the site and publication of the meeting agenda.
- At least five (5) days before the Hearing, a copy of the agenda and staff report shall be mailed/emailed to the applicant, and the materials for the Variance sent to the Floodplain Review Board.
- The Hearing is conducted in accordance with open meeting law. Staff will present a narrative report and the applicant or others wishing to speak shall be allowed to present to the Floodplain Review Board.
- The Variance is Granted or Denied by the Floodplain Review Board. The Board may continue the Hearing if needed.
- Any appellant aggrieved by a decision of the Floodplain Review Board may, within thirty (30) calendar days of such decision, appeal to the Board of Directors by filing a written notice of appeal with the Clerk of the Board on a form provided by the Floodplain Administrator.
- Any appellant aggrieved by a decision of the Board of Directors may within 30 calendar days file a special action in Superior Court of the State of Arizona.