K-12 Schools and Childcare Facilities
The Arizona Department of Education recently released its Guidance for Families and Educators for the Re-opening of Schools. Please see the site for the most up-to-date guidance and other resources for Arizona’s public district and charter schools as they navigate COVID-19 response.
While many schools begin the academic year in distance-learning environments, here are some things schools can do to support students and families:
- Ensure parents/guardians have a plan to designate a caregiver for a sick child(ren) if parents/guardians can’t stay home.
- Share resources to address food insecurity for families who rely on schools for breakfast and/or lunch.
- Identify how the school will communicate updates to parents/guardians.
Illness Monitoring and Reporting
Schools should encourage all students/parents, staff, and teachers to self-monitor for symptoms at home prior to leaving for school. Childcare facilities should also instruct staff and families of children attending their facility to conduct symptom monitoring or implement procedures for on-site screening prior to check-in.
COVID-19 symptoms include:
- Fever (greater than or equal to 100.4 F or 38 C)
- Subjective chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Check the CDC website for the latest list of symptoms associated with COVID-19.
COVID-19 symptoms may present differently in children than in adults. For example, children are less likely than adults to have fever with COVID-19 and more likely to present with non-respiratory symptoms such as nausea and diarrhea. It is important to recognize many common illnesses have similar symptoms. In an abundance of caution, any person experiencing symptoms should remain home.
For children or staff who may have symptoms of COVID-19, have tested positive for the disease, or were exposed to someone with COVID-19, see the information provided on our Sick or Exposed to COVID-19 page.
- Children and staff who are ill, especially with acute respiratory symptoms (not allergies or chronic conditions), should stay home.
- Review sick policies for staff; ensure staff can stay home when ill.
- Ensure prescribed cleaning is happening at facilities (routine disinfectants are appropriate).Enhance cleaning of high touch surfaces like door knobs, toilet handles, and sink handles
- Ensure that hand sanitizer, soap/paper towels and tissues are widely available in school and childcare facilities.
- Remind students to cover their coughs/sneezes with a tissue or their elbow.
Guidance, Forms and Templates
Reporting Suspected or Confirmed Positive Cases of COVID-19 in Schools
- Steps to Take if Student or Staff is Diagnosed with COVID-19 (PDF - Rev. 08/07/20)
- Schools Reporting Form (Fillable PDF - Rev. 09/15/20)
- Schools Reporting Line List (Excel - Rev. 09/15/20)
- Exposed Persons at School Reporting Line List (Excel - Rev. 09/02/20)
- Quarantine Guidance for Household and Close Contacts: English | Spanish (PDF - Rev. 08/07/20)
- Release from Isolation Flow Chart (PDF - Rev. 08/05/20)
- Public Health Statement for Medical Absence: English | Spanish (PDF - Rev. 7/27/20)
- COVID-19 Isolation Guidance and Algorithm: English | Spanish (PDF - Rev. 07/23/20)
Prevention and Mitigation Guidance for Schools
- NEW! Food Services Guidelines for Schools (PDF - Rev. 09/08/20)
- NEW! School Transportation Guidance (PDF - Rev. 09/08/20)
- NEW! Ventilation Guidance (PDF - Rev. 09/08/20)
- NEW! Isolation Room Guidance (PDF - Rev. 09/08/20)
- NEW! PPE Infection Control Guidance (PDF - Rev. 09/08/20)
- Cleaning and Disinfection in schools (PDF - Rev. 09/08/20)
- Symptom Screening in schools (PDF - Rev. 08/09/20)
- Returning to School Risk Decisions (PDF - Rev. 07/27/20):
- Face coverings in schools (PDF - Rev. 07/22/20)
- Physical distancing in schools (PDF - Rev. 07/22/20)
Resources for Parents/Caregivers
Join us every Thursday for an informational call on COVID-19 and Maricopa County Department of Public Health’s response to this ongoing public health emergency. Each webinar includes a limited amount of time for questions and answers.
Watch Previous Webinars On-Demand:
- Thursday, September 17 | Presentation slides (PDF)
- Thursday, September 10 | Presentation slides (PDF)
- Wednesday, September 2 | Presentation slides (PDF)
- View All Previous Sessions
If you are reporting cases of COVID-19 in your school or are seeking official guidance, please first see our Guidance, Forms, and Templates section. For questions not addressed in these documents or if further clarification is needed, please Contact Us.