County Attorney Vacancy
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors will appoint the next County Attorney. Below you’ll find the latest information and materials related to the process.
The Board of Supervisors gave those interested in the County Attorney position until 5 pm on September 18 to submit applications. Here are the names and application packets of those who applied:
September 11, 2019: Board Appoints Seven to Citizen Advisory Committee
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors approved members of a seven-person citizen committee that will screen applicants for the vacant county attorney position and make recommendations. Committee members include community leaders, attorneys, and former judges. They are:
- Dr. Maria Chavira
- Benjamin Taylor
- Boyd Dunn
- Carmen Heredia De la Torre
- Judge Chris Skelly
- Rae Chornenky
- Paula Banahan
The Board officially accepted the resignation of Bill Montgomery on September 9 and defined the process for filling the vacancy, which included creating the committee. The remaining steps are as follows:
- Applications for county attorney will be accepted through Wednesday, September 18 at 5 pm.
- The citizen committee will review resumes, letters of recommendation, and questionnaires between September 18 and October 1. They may choose to interview some candidates.
- The committee will submit a list of recommendations to the Board on October 1.
- The Board will choose a new county attorney in the following days or weeks. This choice will be solely at the Board’s discretion and may or may not be one of the recommended candidates.
The applicant must be a Maricopa County resident over the age of 18; a licensed attorney; and, like Montgomery, a registered Republican. Those interested in applying may download and complete the required questionnaire Opens a New Window. .
Applicants should send the completed questionnaire, a letter of interest, a resume, and any letters of recommendation to the Office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, 301 W. Jefferson, 10th Floor, Phoenix, AZ 85003 or email it to ClerkBoard@maricopa.gov. Opens a New Window. All documents filed with the Clerk’s Office will become public records. Applicants are subject to a background check. As stated, applications will only be accepted through Wednesday, September 18 at 5 pm.