- Public Health
- About Public Health
- Health Data: Maricopa Health Matters
Maricopa Health Matters
The Community Health Needs Assessment Survey is now live!
Does your community help you live a healthy life? Take the survey to tell us what you think! It's open to Maricopa County residents aged 12 years and up, now through May 31, 2023.
Public Health is a collaborative effort and partnerships are an essential piece to ensuring that community representation is at the center of what we do. One of the most important ways that Maricopa County of Public Health (MCPH) does this is by conducting a Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA), also referred to as the Community Health Assessment (CHA), every three years.
A CHNA is a comprehensive data collection effort to identify the strengths, challenges, health priorities, and opportunities to address and improve public health. Every three years, Maricopa County Public Health, in collaboration with healthcare and community partners, conducts a CHNA to develop a deeper understanding from residents about issues that relate to quality of life, availability of vital services, physical and mental health, and more.
The CHNA examines what factors contribute to different health issues in certain communities, and why some issues affect some more than others. This research is supported by Synapse, a collaboration of healthcare partners, and the Health Improvement Partnership of Maricopa County (HIPMC). To learn more about the CHNA process, and the role Synapse and the HIPMC play, click the play button below.
A CHNA collects and analyzes data to understand the health needs of a given community. The assessment can help identify and prioritize health problems and facilitate planning and actions to address those problems.
Sharing information from a CHNA can bring together community members and leaders to build a healthier community and prevent disease. The CHNA examines topics such as:
- Physical and mental health
- Social connectedness
- Access to care
- Health conditions
- Essential affordability
- Community strengths and barriers
In the past, the data collected in the CHNA has sparked action to accomplish the following:
- Development of interactive data reports, city profiles, and the Voices of Maricopa County data dashboard.
- Shared data to major hospitals and healthcare providers to inform healthcare delivery.
- Informed the Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) developed in collaboration with MCPH and over 100 community partners, including, community organizations, healthcare, education, advocacy, and government.
- Directed funding to local organizations to address top health needs in the community.
Top health needs identified through the 2019 CHNA survey and 2021 COVID-19 supplemental survey.
2023 CHNA Survey:
Past CHNA data:
- CHNA data reports
- COVID-19 Community Impact Survey Report (PDF)
- COVID-19 Impact Focus Groups Summary Report (PDF)