Working together, we can create a built environment that preserves water conveyance and provides habitat for wildlife.

Who needs a permit?

Floodplain Use Permit

Floodplain Use Permits are issued by the Flood Control District of Maricopa County (FCD) for development in a floodplain, including extraction of sand and gravel or other material. Even if you may not need a building permit for your project, if you are doing work within a designated floodplain, you are required to obtain a Floodplain Use Permit before you build, grade, fill, install any type of wall or fencing, or perform any other man-made change to the property.

Right-of-Way Use Permit

FCD requires a Right-of-Way (ROW) Use Permit be obtained prior to any development or access requested on property that FCD owns or has easements over and/or on structures FCD maintains. Locations of structures and property requiring ROW permits can be found at

Additional Permits

Applications for subdivision plats, zoning and other processes, and building permits for unincorporated Maricopa County are handled through the Department of Planning and Development. Cities and towns in incorporated Maricopa County process their own building permits for development within the city/town limits.

Are you installing a manufactured homes or factory-built building? You must also apply for an installation permit at the Arizona Department of Housing Manufactured Housing Division. Other permits, such as the Floodplain Use Permit, may be required prior to receiving the installation permit.