- Transportation (MCDOT)
- A Guide for Residents
- Americans with Disabilities Act
Americans with Disabilities Act
About the Program
The American’s with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, is a civil rights law mandating equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities. The Maricopa County Department of Transportation (MCDOT) has a responsibility, under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, to ensure MCDOT’s public rights-of-way are readily accessible to, and useable by, individuals with disabilities to the fullest extent possible.
How is ADA Title II enforced by MCDOT?
- Conducting compliance reviews
- Conducting Title II of ADA implementation training to staff
- Processing the disposition of ADA complaints received by MCDOT
- Working closely with the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) to ensure MCDOT’s compliance with ADA policies as they apply to MCDOT right-of-way.
How to File a Complaint?
Complaints may be filed by any person who believes they have been excluded from participation in, denied benefits of, or otherwise subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability. Complaints will be accepted in writing and may be filed with MCDOT’s ADA Coordinator. Complaint forms can be emailed, or mailed, upon request.
A signed, written complaint must be submitted within 180 days of the alleged discriminator act (or latest occurrence). Complaints may be filed with these agencies:
- ADOT Civil Rights Office
- U.S. Department of Justice (USDOJ)
- U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT)
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
All complaints should contain these elements:Contact Us
- The name, address, telephone number and signature of the complainant
- The facts and circumstances surrounding the claimed discrimination, including date of allegations, and the basis of the complaint (e.g., race, color, national origin, gender, disability)
- Any names of persons, if known, whom the investigator could contact for additional information to support or clarify the allegations
- The corrective action being sought by the complainant
If you require assistance completing a complaint form or for questions about MCDOT’s ADA Program, please contact:
MCDOT Roadway ADA Coordinator
Senior Transportation Planner
2901 W Durango Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85009
Phone: (602) 506-7742
2901 W. Durango Street
Phoenix, AZ 85009
Reed KemptonSenior Planner, Systems Planning BranchPhone: (602) 506-7742