Featured Permitting Solutions

We recognize that our customers want their building projects to proceed quickly through the permitting process while reducing costs wherever possible. To achieve this goal, Planning and Development have a number of programs to assist customers in the most timely and cost-effective manner possible.

Every project is unique, but many fall into categories that enable us to streamline the permitting process, reduce timeframes or minimize requirements.

Please read the various program outlines below to see if your project would benefit from one of them.
Building Plans
  1. Fast Track
  2. Permit By Inspector
  3. Annual Facilities Permit
  4. Standard Plans

The Fast Track Program

The Fast Track option offers a more expedient review process for many simple projects which do not have any dominant zoning, environmental, drainage or floodplain concerns. If the project would have originally been Fast Track eligible, modifications may also be accepted with certain restrictions - please inquire with Customer Service staff. Please note that all upfront permitting fees are non-refundable.  See attachment for further details.

Is my permit eligible for the Fast-Track option?

Residential Minor:

  • Plumbing Repair/Replace Like for Like (equipment, water line, sewer, gas line)
  • Plumbing New Gas Line to BBQ, Fireplace, Fire Pit, Fire Wok, Kiva, Pool/Spa Heater
  • Plumbing New Gas Line to serve less than 250 gallon propane tank
  • Electrical Clearance ONLY (400 amps or less)
  • Electrical Repair/Replace Like for Like (400 amp panel or less, outlets, fixtures)
  • Electrical Service Upgrade / Service up to 400 amps

Residential Additions and Alterations*:

  • Patio Covers
  • Attached Golf Cart Garage
  • Attached Garage
  • Attached Carport
  • Covered Breezeway
  • Minor nonstructural fire damage repairs where the floor area does not exceed 400 sq. ft.

Residential Accessories*:

  • Propane Tank 250 gallons or larger (above or underground)
  • Fountain / Water Feature
  • Propane Tank 250 gallons or larger (above or underground)
  • Storage Structure
  • Ramada / Gazebo
  • Water Tank 5000 gallons or larger (above ground)
  • Fountain / Water Feature 
  • Unaltered Sea Container with foundation intended for storage
  • Sheds, gazebos, or other detached non-habitable accessory structures under 1,200 sq. ft.

Residential Pools, Spas, Fences:

  • Custom, Standard Plan or Above Ground Pools and/or Spas (engineering can be accepted for these projects)
  • Block, Rail, Wood, Wrought Iron Fencing
  • Retaining wall less than four feet, engineering must be provided with the submittal

Why would my project NOT be eligible for the Fast-Track process?

  • Engineered design and analysis is required – this does not apply to standard plan engineering
  • or engineering related to pre-fabricated products (e.g. Alumawood covers, Metals USA units, etc.).
  • Hillside property.
  • Floodplain, floodway, or washes that may be impacted by the planned construction.
  • Accessory or additions exceeding 1,200 sq. ft.
  • Structures with walls over 10 ft. in height
  • Involves electrical service greater than 400 amps.
  • Increasing the capacity of the onsite wastewater/septic system (if applicable).
  • Projects in which ownership or parcel changes are still in progress or cannot be readily verified.
  • Installing a fence on a vacant lot that does not have an assigned address
  • Conversion of an existing space into habitable space **

What are the minimum submittal plan requirements?

  • Site plan and set of construction plans.
  • If the project involves a fence, include fence details.

* Special Note for properties on Septic: 

Fencing or Carport conversion to Garage (with no additional plumbing), the approved septic site plan from Environmental Services must be verified in order to participate in the Fast Track process. To qualify for the Fast Track process, the applicant must provide the approved Environmental Services site plan. If the approved septic cannot be verified, the project will go through the standard review.  The link to research septic permits is https://edms.maricopa.gov/ENV/

If the application involves increasing fixture count, usage, or capacity, the submittal must be routed to Environmental Services for a technical review and will not qualify for the Fast Track process.

** HABITABLE SPACE is defined as a space in a building for living, sleeping, eating, or cooking.