At MCACC, we recognize that giving up a family pet is never an easy decision, but we know that sometimes it may feel like you have no other option. Since our primary mission is to serve the lost and homeless pets of Maricopa County, we allow residents of the county to surrender their pets to the shelter by appointment only. Appointment availability is determined by several factors including existing kennel space and other special circumstances. Please Note: A separate appointment is required for each individual animal.
To better help you during this difficult time, we have compiled a comprehensive list of resources and available alternatives to surrendering your pet to MCACC. Before scheduling an appointment with us, please review the options below to help you determine the best choice for your situation. Start by visiting Arizona Pet Project’s website and Arizona Humane Society’s Pet Resource Center website and then review the Alternative Resources section at the bottom of the page.
Supporting Pets and People During COVID-19
Pets are family, and Pet Housing Help AZ is committed to helping both our four- and two-legged friends who have been impacted by COVID-19. MCACC has joined the top animal welfare organizations in the Valley to provide information, resources and a community rehoming/temporary foster network for struggling pet owners impacted by the COVID-19 housing crisis. If you’re a pet owner in need or a pet lover who wants to assist those in need, we have solutions for you. Visit Pet Housing Help AZ for more information.
Overview of Owner Surrender Process
Surrendering a pet is a difficult decision. We want to help you through the process to ensure you are making the best decision for you and your situation. In the steps below, we have outlined the process for you to follow when considering surrendering your pet to MCACC.
- Review available options and resources listed on this page
- Pursue alternatives that work for your situation
- If you decide to surrender with us, review surrender fees below
- Schedule an appointment and complete surrender form online
- You may be contacted by MCACC for more information (if needed)
- Attend appointment with ID and payment ready to surrender your pet
Note: We do not accept stray or community cats. Please contact the below rescues.
Cat's World Rescue - 623-216-5469
Cool Cats Rescue - firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope for Cats - 602-295-9237
If after reviewing the alternative resources, you determine that surrendering your pet to MCACC is the best decision for you, there is a $75 surrender fee per pet, which is collected at the time of your appointment.
Schedule a Surrender Appointment
If you are ready to schedule an appointment to surrender your pet to MCACC, here is some information to help you with the online process.
- Separate calendars are managed for dogs and cats. Be sure to choose the correct calendar when booking.
- You may receive a phone call from MCACC staff within 48 hours of your appointment if additional information is needed.
- If you are surrendering multiple pets, you will need to schedule an appointment for each pet.
- When you arrive for your appointment, be sure to have your ID, important pet-related documents (such as vaccination records), and a form of payment ready.
Reminder: MCACC does not accept surrendered pets without a scheduled appointment.
For additional questions or more information, call 602-506-7387.
To schedule your pet’s appointment, click on the dog OR cat below to access the correct calendar.
Please Note: A separate appointment is required for each individual animal.
Re-homing Your Pet
- Pet Housing Help AZ - post to rehome your pet for FREE
- Adoptapet.com - post for adopters to see locally FREE
- Get Your Pet - post for adopters FREE
- Use Facebook groups for breed-specific rescues
- Try Craigslist - Choose your city > pets section
- Arizona Humane Society
- Canine Country Club & Feline Inn
- JetPet Resorts
- Alta Vista Boarding and Grooming
- Sky Harbor Dog Boarding
- Second Home Pet Resort
- Lost Our Home