Maricopa County Teen Health Program
The Maricopa County Teen Health Program in the Office of Maternity and Child Health works with teens around Maricopa County to equip them with information and resources needed to gain important life skills and successfully transition into adulthood. Alongside families and a strong community network, this program is aimed to help reduce teen pregnancy, advance self-worth and increase personal and professional opportunities.
Through free workshops, parents and caring adults of youth ages 11-19, are provided with the knowledge and skills they need to encourage their teens to say "no" to risky behaviors and "yes" to healthy decisions and a successful life. Students and parents are provided with an evidence-based curriculum proven to equip and strengthen lifestyle choices aimed at healthy living for both the teens and their families.
Teen Health Education (Trained Youth Development Educators)
Schools or community agencies can select one of the following three educational tracks. All curriculums are scientifically evaluated and demonstrated to be effective in achieving desired outcomes.
Sixteen 45 minute lessons that equip students with the attitude and skills to make healthy choices focused on practicing abstinence. RTR further prepares teens with skills that can protect them against pregnancy and STD/HIV if they choose to engage in risky behaviors. RTR education and conversation focuses on negotiation-refusal skills, condom use skills, role-play exercises, and other decisions regarding sexual behavior.
Eight 60 minute lessons that facilitate discussion regarding adolescent sexuality, goal planning, transmission and prevention of STD and HIV. MPC also focuses on personal beliefs and attitudes regarding risky behavior and building self-efficacy.
Note: The in-class teen education curriculum adheres to the National and State Health Education standards.
A comprehensive evidence-based sexual health and teen pregnancy prevention curriculum for grades 9-12 and out-of- school youth. Our editions are aligned with the National Health Education Standards (NHES) and the National Sexuality Education Standards (NSES). In 14 lessons youth will gain knowledge STD and pregnancy prevention while also discussing important topics like healthy relationships and relationship abuse, media and peer pressure and how to make informed decisions.
Parent Workshop: Let's Talk
Trained facilitators offer an interactive presentation for parents and guardians of youth ages 11-19 to learn and discuss strategies to improve parent-child communication. The two hour workshop is provided in English and Spanish and can be delivered during school hours, after-school, and at community-based organizations. The workshop includes discussion, role-play, and other informative activities aimed to empower parents to discuss sensitive real-life issues with their teen such as sexuality, human development, and healthy relationships.
- Facilitator led, program to parents/guardians of youth ages 11-19 or who attend high school.
- Two hour workshops provided in both English and Spanish, can be delivered during school hours, after-school, and at community-based organizations.
- Workshop includes discussion, role-play, and other informative activities aimed to empower parents to discuss sensitive real-life issues with their teen such as sexuality and human development, healthy relationships, and bullying.
- The Arizona Department of Education's HIV/STD Prevention and Sex Education Resources provides school staff access to prevention information such as teen pregnancy prevention, bullying, and Internet safety.
- The Governor's Office of Youth, Faith and Family (GOYFF) works to create a safe, healthy and bright future for all Arizona.
- The Nemours Foundation Kids Health website provides teachers printable educational worksheets of various health topics such as the human body, health issues, and personal health for grades K-12.
- Reducing the Risk is an evidence-based curriculum that teaches students the interpersonal or social skills they can use to abstain or protect themselves.
- Making Proud Choices is an evidence-based curriculum that promotes empowering adolescents to change their behavior in ways that will reduce their risk of an unplanned pregnancy or becoming infected with HIV and other STDs.
- https://positivepreventionplus.com/ a comprehensive evidence-based sexual health and teen pregnancy prevention curriculum for grades 9-12 and out-of- school youth.