Postexposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Basics
- Course Number: WB2168
- CE Origination Date: September 5, 2012
- Continuing Education (CE) Expiration Date: September 5, 2016
This online course is designed to educate healthcare providers and public health professionals about rabies, the approach used in evaluating patients for rabies virus exposure, and the administration of rabies postexposure prophylaxis (PEP) as recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). There is no cost to view the course or to receive continuing education (CE) credit.
At the conclusion of this session, the participant will be able to accomplish the following:
- Explain the epidemiology of rabies in Maricopa County, Arizona, and in the United States.
- Identify risk factors associated with patient travel and exposure to specific animals.
- Describe the protocol for conducting rabies risk assessments prior to dispensing rabies vaccine.
- Identify the contact information for Maricopa County Department of Public Health for risk assessments.
- Recognize how to correctly administer PEP (dosage, location on body, and frequency).
- Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine
- Medical Doctors
- Medical Students
- Nurse Practitioners
- Nurse Technicians
- Physician Assistants
- Public Health Professionals
- Registered Nurses
How to Receive CE Credit
- View the Rabies Postexposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Basics course online. Once you complete the course, go to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Training and Continuing Education Online.
- If you have not previously registered as a participant, click on new participant to create a user ID and password
- If you have registered in this system before, click on participant login and enter the same login name and password you have used previously.
- After you have logged in/registered, click on search and keyword search for course WB2168. Click on the course.
- Indicate the type of CE credit that you would like to receive and then hit submit. Three demographic questions will come up. Complete the questions and then submit. From "Participant services," click on "evaluations and tests."
- Complete the post-test and course evaluation. To receive continuing education credit, you must answer all of the questions.
- At Participant Services, click on Certificates and Transcripts and print your continuing education certificate.
- If you have any questions or problems contact CDC Training and Continuing Education Online at: 800-41TRAIN or 404-639-1292 or by email.