Adopt a Pet
CHANGE TO APPOINTMENT-ONLY ADOPTIONS EFFECTIVE MARCH 23, 2020.
In order to further protect the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and visitors while still trying to find forever homes for the dogs and cats in our care, we have had to modify the way we offer adoption services. Due to the highly contagious nature of COVID-19, we have instituted an appointment-only adoption system starting on Monday, March 23, 2020.
Here’s how it works:
- You must sign up at https://mcaccappointments.as.me/adopt
- Get paired with an Adoption Counselor at your appointment time *
- Meet the pet of your dreams
- Complete the adoption paperwork
- Go home with your new best friend!
PLEASE NOTE: With the COVID-19 situation continually changing, we are currently only scheduling appointments about two weeks in advance. Although your preferred date and time slot may not be available right now, we are constantly receiving cancellations and attempting to update the sign-up list as frequently as possible. Please check the sign-up link often as availability changes throughout the day. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
* If an Adoption Counselor is occupied with a previous appointment trying to make a forever match, we’ll take down your information, add you to a waitlist and contact you when a team member is available. We encourage you to research and bring a list of the pets you are interested in, but you will be limited to meeting two animals per appointment.
Please browse adoptable pets by clicking on the "Maricopa County Animal Care and Control - Search for pets "needing a home" tab below and write down their ID numbers (A number). Please note there may still be extended wait times while we all work hard together to ensure the safety of all staff, volunteers, visitors, and the animals in our care while we try to find each dog or cat their new forever home.
NEW Adoptable Pets Web Page with Search and PDF Functions!
Our new adoptable pets web page is a work-in-progress and will continue to receive updates; you may need to frequently refresh the page if you are experiencing difficulties.
How to use our new adoptable pets web page:
You can search page by page through our adoptable pets to find your perfect match or you can use the search functionality by using any or all of the filters to refine your search:
- Any Type - select dog or cat
- Any Age - select preferred age range
- Any Gender - select male or female
- Any Size - select preferred size
- Any Breed - select preferred breed type
- By Animal ID/Name - search by specific animal ID or name
Once you have selected the pet(s) you are interested in, click on their pictures for more detailed information including the "Download PDF" button to save or print the notes on that dog or cat.
Get started finding your new best friend by clicking on the banner below:
Looking for a new pet?
Browse photos of our current residents via the links above and if you see one you are interested in, we encourage you to visit our adoption locations so that you may view the animals in person and get a feel for their personality. You do not need to be an Arizona resident to adopt from us, but you must complete the adoption in person and we are unable to provide transportation for your newly adopted dog or cat.
What's Included in the adoption?Along with your new 'fur-ever' friend, dogs in our shelter are given:
- 4-in-1 vaccination (distemper, hepatitis, parvo virus, and parinfluenza)
- Bordatella vaccination
- flea/tick treatment
- Adopted dogs ages 3 months of age and older also receive a rabies vaccination and County dog license/tag as part of their adoption fee.
- All animals adopted from us also must be spayed or neutered prior to leaving the shelter. If you adopt a cat/dog that has not yet been altered, it may need to stay an extra day or two for surgery.
What are the costs?
Puppy and Dog Adoptions
- Less than 5 months of age and younger: $300
- Five months of age and older and 20 pounds and more: $50-$150
- Five months of age and older and less than 20 pounds: $75 - $200
- Six years of age and older: $25-$75
- Shelter Super Heroes: Up to $300
Kitten & Cat Adoptions
- Less than 5 months of age and younger: $75-$150
- Five months of age to 6 years old: $25-$75
- Senior cats (7 years and older): $25
Fast Pass Adoptions
Some pets on a legal stray hold (generally 72 hours) are eligible for a Fast Pass Adoption! See how it works below to determine if it's the right adoption option for you:
- What is the Fast Pass Adoption program? The Fast Pass Adoption program allows potential adopters the chance to reserve a dog or cat while still on a legally mandated hold.
- Why are we offering this program? To help ensure we always have life-saving space available for animals in need and that we maintain a healthy number of animals within our Capacity for Care. A Fast Pass adoption potentially reduces a pet’s length of stay by one day.
- How does it work? Most healthy, friendly animals are available for Fast Pass. All Fast Pass adoptions must be completed at the shelter; no phone holds will be accepted. The adoption fees for Fast Pass are generally $300, with some exceptions, and must be paid upfront (during the pre-adoption process).
- Effective April 3, 2020, no refunds will be given for Fast Pass adoptions except in the following situations:
- The pet is claimed and returned to the owner prior to taking possession or,
- A serious medical condition is discovered after signing the agreement.
- Fast Pass may not be appropriate for every adopter as we do not allow dogs still on a legal hold to meet privately owned dogs.
Pets and Vets Program
- Adopters participating in the program are responsible for only paying the $22 license fee, while the adoption fee is waived for all dogs and cats 5 years of age and older.
- All other animals, including puppies (5 months of age or less), kittens (5 months of age or less), Shelter Super Heroes and other premium-priced pets also are available for veterans in this program at 50 percent off their current adoption price.
- Limit one discount in the program per veteran every eight years.
Veterans wishing to participate in the program are asked to provide verification of veteran, reservist or active duty status. We will accept the following verification documents:
- Military ID
- DD214 Military Discharge Certificate
- Honorable Discharge Certificate
- Letter for the U.S. Military Center in St. Louis or Letter from the Maryland Veterans Administration Service Program.