South Phoenix Healthy Start
Your baby’s health should not be determined by zip code. Every baby matters. Good healthcare should be available to everyone, no matter where they live. Sadly, statistics show babies born in South Phoenix are at higher risk of health problems.
Many of us at Healthy Start grew up here and know all about these statistics. But we also know when a parent succeeds, a baby will succeed too. This is why we have programs designed to help both mom and dad make healthy lifestyle choices. We provide free services and referrals to local resources before, during and after pregnancy. Healthy Start helps parents raise strong families and build bright futures.
You don’t have to do this alone. Contact us today to learn more about the free services and local resources we oﬀer. Give your family a healthy start.
Learn more about the Babies Beyond One Zone initiative by exploring the resources and videos below:
- African American Infant Mortality Data Opens a New Window.
- Exploring African Americans’ High Maternal and Infant Death Rates Opens a New Window.
- Is Racism Behind High Infant Mortality Rates Among African-Americans? Opens a New Window.
- National Healthy Start Association Opens a New Window.
- Health Resources & Services Administration: Maternal and Child Health Bureau Opens a New Window.
- Women and infant health education
- Home visits and wellness screenings
- Individual and small group classes
- Partner involvement programs
- Childbirth assistance
- Breastfeeding support and counseling
- Safe sleep counseling
- Social support with other parents
We provide the following free services and referrals that are designed to help both mom and dad make healthy lifestyle choices. Give your clients the help they deserve!
- Job training and education help
- WIC clinics and MIHS
- Counseling services, including behavior and addiction
- Domestic violence shelters
- Food, housing and transportation
- Child care resources
- FTF Family Learning Centers
- Priority to AHCCCS services
- Stork’s Nest
- Healthy Bucks
- Parents Partners Plus
- Tummy time
- Car seat safety
- Childbirth classes
- Parenting workshops
- Brain and child development
- Early literacy classes
Healthy Start has developed a Community Action Network composed of our clients, neighborhood residents, healthcare providers, social service and public health agencies, faith-based representatives and members of our local business community. The Community Action Network:
- Guides the design and implementation of Healthy Start;
- Plays an important role in increasing community awareness of infant mortality issues;
- Suggests interventions that will be effective in our community and those we serve; and
- Promotes healthy lifestyle behaviors attributed to positive birth outcomes throughout our community
For more information about the Community Action Network, send us an email.
South Phoenix Healthy Start is a federally funded, community-based infant mortality reduction program. Our mission is to increase the number of infants that live and remain healthy past one year of age.