Healthy Vending Machines
Better Bites / Better Gulps Vending Program
The "Better Bites / Better Gulps" vending program provides snack and beverage choices lower in fat, sugar, sodium, and calories than usual vending items. These changes will make it easier to eat healthier at work. Half of the choices in the vending machines will meet nutrition guidelines listed in this brochure. Selecting the items marked as "Better Bites" or "Better Gulps" will help you manage your health and your weight.
At least 50% of foods served in vending machines will meet the following nutrition standards for snacks.
Food items are to be sold in single serving packages.
Food items meeting the nutrition standards will be sold at a price that is equivalent to or lower than the price of the remaining items within the vending machine that do not meet these nutrition standards.
Food items meeting the nutrition standards must be placed according to the "Better Bites, Better Gulps" Plan-o-Gram.
- No more than 250 calories per item as offered.
- No more than 35% calories from fat with the exception of packages that contain 100% nuts or seeds (salted or unsalted); snack mixes that contain components other than nuts and seeds must have no more than 35% of calories from fat.
- No more than 10% of its calories from saturated fat.
- No added trans fat (hydrogenated oils, partially hydrogenated oils).
- No more than 35% percent sugar and caloric sweeteners by weight (excluding fruits and vegetables without added sweeteners or fats) and a max of 15 grams total sugar per product.
- No more than 250 milligrams of sodium per package/container.
- At least one item meets all criteria above and is a "good source" of dietary fiber (10% of more daily value) per serving.
- Sugarless chewing gum can be sold without having to meet the above nutrition standards.
At least 50% of beverage offerings in vending machines may include the following:
- Water, including carbonated water (with no added caloric sweeteners).
- Fat-free or 1% low-fat dairy milk (including flavored milk) or calcium and vitamin-D fortified milk alternatives (i.e.: soy, almond, rice, etc.) with less than 200 calories per container.
- 100% fruit juice or fruit juice combined with water or carbonated water (limited to a maximum of 12 ounce container; with no added caloric sweeteners).
- 100% vegetable juice (limited to a maximum of 12 ounce container, no added caloric sweeteners, and less than or equal to 200 milligrams of sodium per container).
- Tea or black coffee (with no added caloric sweeteners).
- Non-caloric and low-calorie beverages (excluding energy drinks) that are less than or equal to 40 calories per container (with no added caloric sweeteners).
- Corn Sweetener
- Corn Syrup
- Fruit Concentrate
- Fruit Juice Concentrate
- High-Fructose Corn Syrup
- Malt Syrup
- Sugar (Simple, Brown, Invert, Raw)
Beverages meeting the nutrition standards must be placed according to the "Better Gulps" Plan-o-Gram.
Identification of Better Bites & Better Gulps Items
Note: A Better Bites snack with a good source of fiber will be marked with two of the Better Bites Snacks Symbol.
The Better Bites program is supported by the Maricopa County Department of Public Health and Wellness Works.