Apply for Certified Copies
- Complete and sign the application
- Check to ensure the person applying is eligible to apply under state law**
- Make a photocopy (Front and Back) of your current, valid, signed, photo ID
- Attach or photocopy any factual documentation or additional forms required
- Pay the appropriate fee
Three Ways to Apply: In Person, Mail, Online Expedited
We have 4 locations across the valley to serve you Monday-Friday from 8:00am-4:30pm. Same day service for eligible, complete applications!
Complete, signed applications with all required fees and information are usually processed within one week. Quick and with NO additional fees!
Online ordering through a separate company, VitalChek is available. Additional processing fees and charges for expedited service in addition to the fee per certified copy ordered. All the rules the rules and requirements for in person and mail applications apply.
1. A parent of the individual
2. The individual’s spouse
3. The individual’s grandparent, adult child, adult grandchild, or adult brother or sister
4. The individual’s guardian
5. A person designated in a power of attorney, established by the individual’s parent or guardian according to A.R.S. § 14-5104 or 14-5107
6. A person appointed as the individual’s conservator according to A.R.S. Title 14, Chapter 5, Article 4
7. A person designated in a court order to receive a certified copy of the individual’s certificate of birth registration
8. An attorney representing:
The individual, if the individual is of legal age or married;
The individual’s parent; or
The individual’s guardian while acting on the individual’s behalf
9. An adoption agency, licensed according to A.R.S. § 8-126, or a private attorney if:
An adoption of the individual is pending, and
The adoption agency or private attorney represents the individual’s biological parents or prospective adoptive parents
10. A governmental agency processing:
An adoption, a financial claim, a governmental benefit application,
Or another form of compensation on behalf of an individual,
Or having another official purpose for the certified copy of the individual's certificate of birth registration
Next...Apply for the Certified Copies
Maricopa County can assist you with making minor and more substantive corrections and changes to Arizona death records.
To determine the type of change you need to make and the steps required to request lawful corrections please visit our Change a Birth Certificate page.
Have additional questions such as, What do you need when applying for a US Passport? or What is the difference between the electronic record and the paper record?
Please read our helpful Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page or call us at 602-506-6805 Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 4:30pm. You can also visit one of our 4 locations and speak with one of our professional Registrars. We are here for you!
What do we need certified copies for?
Certified copies of birth certificates are important documents and often are needed when preparing tax filings, school registrations, for benefits enrollment and other legal matters. Original certificates are held in the state archives. Arizona is a “closed” record state which means only certain parties may receive a copy of this important document. Please read thethoroughly for more information.
Need your birth certificate from a different state?
Click here for helpful information.