HomepageContact Us (Popup Window)
Site Map | Search | Phone Directory | Departments | Services
Skip Navigation Links

Calendar of Events
<March 2015>

Current Location: Skip Navigation LinksHome | Get Set for Life | Careers | Certification/Cards needed for work

Certifications / Cards

Some jobs require you to have specific Certifications / Cards:

Food Handlers card

Example of food handlers card

Food Service Worker Cards are required for any person who handles, prepares, serves, sells or gives away food for human consumption, including those whose duties are restricted to busing or washing dishes. The rule does not apply to workers in facilities that handle food or beverages exclusively in a closed package or container. New workers must obtain their licenses within 30 days. To obtain additional information, please visit our Environmental Health website.

In 1998, Maricopa County adopted a change to its food code requiring all food establishments handling open, potentially hazardous foods to have at least one licensed Certified Manager who has undergone more extensive food service training. To obtain additional information, please visit our Environmental Health website.

First Aid and CPR Certification

Get trained in CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) by contacting the National Safety Council’s First Aid Institute for first aid and CPR training by calling 1.800.621.7615.

In CPR and First Aid training, one learns how to respond to breathing and cardiac emergencies in adults, children and infants; identify and care for bleeding, sudden illness and injury and prevent disease transmission.

Visit the National Safety Council website to get training information.

Finger Print Clearance Card

Whole hand fingerprint scan

On July 1, 2009, the Department of Public Safety began issuing two types of fingerprint clearance cards. This change was mandated by a change in state law. The cards are called the Level One card and the Regular card. Section 411758.07 was enacted which placed a higher eligibility standard to receive a Level One card than what is needed for a regular card. Both cards are valid for six years and there is an associated fee. Some of the programs requiring a Level One fingerprint clearance card include:

Image of fingerprint
  • The Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) adoption
  • DES foster home licensure
  • DES Child Protective Services (CPS) worker
  • DES developmental home licensure
  • DES day care home provider
  • DES child care home provider
  • Department of Human Services (DHS) child care worker

For questions and answers concerning requirements, obtaining and/or renewing finger print clearance cards, visit Arizona Department of Public Safety