School Garden Sections: Planning Your Garden | Grant Resources | Food Safety Practices | Garden Curricula
Included in this section you will find curricula on a variety of garden- and agriculture-related topics for grades Prekindergarten through high school. Those resources that have an associated cost are identified by a “$” next to the site name. To view more detailed information about the content of the material, hover your mouse over the curriculum name or simply click on it to go directly to the website.
- Junior Master Gardener
- Curricula for grades 3-5:
- Junior Master Gardener Handbook - Eight chapters teaching kids about gardening; includes activity sheets and hands-on learning opportunities.
- Health and Nutrition from the Garden - Includes six learning concepts which encourages children to have fun while growing and eating fruits and vegetables.
- Literature in the Garden - This curriculum includes six books that encompass a garden and ecology theme. Activities are based on math, science, language, and encourage development of leadership, individual responsibility, community involvement and critical thinking.
- Wildlife Gardener - Lessons on wildlife habitats and the environment; includes a community service project in which students develop a Certified Schoolyard Habitat.
- Curricula for grades 6-8
- Operation Thistle - Lessons in plant growth and development which includes service learning projects, and a fun mission to defeat Dr. Thistle.
- Operation Water - Dr. Thistle is back in these hands-on activities based on water and soil concepts. Includes lessons on soil texture, aquifers, watersheds, wetlands, soil nutrients, the water cycle, soil improvement, soil structure, and water and soil conservation.
- Garden of Learning
- Curricula for grades K-6+
- A Year in the Garden - Garden curriculum that follows the seasons of a school year. Includes lessons in science, math, language arts, fine arts, nutrition, humanities, history, social and environmental studies and agriculture.
- Year Two in the Garden - Builds on previous curriculum and includes new lessons on planting, soil, insects, vermicomposting, scientific method, microscopic studies, and more. Lesson also includes components on science, math, language arts, fine arts, nutrition, humanities, history, social and environmental studies and agriculture.
- The Garden System - A guide to help elementary schools start and sustain a school garden.
- The Farmer's Market - Lessons on showcasing and financially profiting from your garden produce.
- Life Lab
- $ and Free
- Curricula for grades Preschool - 8
This website has a plethora of curricula - here are a few:
- The Growing Classroom K-6 - Garden and Nutrition Activity Guide - A resource book which incorporates science, math and language arts into garden based activities.
- The Book of Gardening Projects for Kids - 101 ways to get kids outside, dirty, and having fun - 101 garden activities for kids.
- Kids Gardening Activities Cards - 40 Fun Indoor and Outdoor Activities and Games - Ages 8+
- Sowing the Seeds of Wonder - Garden lessons for preschool-aged children.
- Life Lab Science K-5 Garden Basic Curriculum - Lessons incorporate gardening with earth, life and physical science. Topics include soil, water, weather, plants, and animals.
- Access free, downloadable lessons created by Life Lab.
- School Garden Weekly - Free
This site has links to several garden curricula resources; listed below are individual lessons you will find on this site:
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services
2nd - 3rd grade
Got Veggies? - Seven lesson plans on growing and eating fruits and vegetables; lessons incorporate topics such as nutrition, health, and science.
- Grow to Learn NYC
3rd - 5th grade (Can be revised for younger and older students)
Our Growing Place
20 lessons on gardening and 20 lessons on cooking.
This curriculum was designed for after school and summer programs, but can be adapted for regular school hours.
- Kids Gardening
This site provides ideas for projects and activities, and lessons that incorporate gardening into classroom curriculum.
- Agriculture Literacy Program - Arizona Cooperative Extension
This website offers curricula written by teachers. It also lists activities and programs that will enhance the classroom learning experience.
- Agriculture in the Classroom - National Organization
There are a variety of agricultural lessons available for grades K-12 and includes quizzes to test your students' knowledge. This site also offers some STEM programs and resources.