This historic Security Building was built in 1928 by the Dwight B. Heard Investment Company. A prominent Phoenix realtor and cattleman, Dwight B. Heard was president of the Security Improvement Company when the building was erected. The eight-story structure was once the tallest building in Arizona.

In 1958, the ninth floor was added and served as the penthouse apartment of Walter Bimson, president of Valley National Bank. This space is now the home of ASU’s Phoenix Urban Research Lab (PURL) and Maricopa County offices. Designed in the Second Renaissance Revival style, the Security Building was originally the headquarters of produce growers and law firms.

The building was purchased by Maricopa County in 2001 and historical renovations began in 2005. This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Phoenix Historic Property Register.

The Buildings accommodate several Maricopa County departments including but not limited to the County Attorney’s Civil Division, the Office of the Legal Defender, the Office of the Public Fiduciary, Human Services Administration Department, Parks and Recreation Department, Correctional Health Administration, and the County’s Risk Management Department. In addition, Arizona State University’s Phoenix Urban Research Lab has offices in the Buildings.

The Buildings measure approximately 230,000 rentable square feet in area with a projected occupancy of approximately 700 people. For current occupancy status, click here.

 
234 N. Central Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85003