The Environmental Services Department has the following Hispanic and Chinese Liaisons:
- Hispanic Liaison:
- Michael Britt
- Phone: (602) 506-6956
- Phone: (602) 372-4583
- Chinese Liaison:
- Li Hwang
- Phone: (480) 820-7655 ext. 223
Cultural Liaison Activities:
- Inspects all permitted facilities within an assigned to the Cultural liaison program. The district will
encompass those establishments where there is a language barrier. The Liaison works collaboratively with
establishments to educate and assist them in ensuring and maintaining compliance with codes and regulations.
This includes conducting training exercises as well as legal enforcement action if necessary.
- The Liaison accompanies other inspectors to their establishments when a language barrier exists to conduct
training ride along and assist in the verbal translation to Spanish language operators.
- The Liaison translates documents and educational materials from English to Spanish or Chinese, and teaches
Spanish food handler classes when assigned.
- The Liaison works closely with the Department’s Community and Media Relations Manager to disseminate
information to the public.
- The Liaison Investigates citizen complaints from permitted establishments assigned to the Hispanic/Chinese
- The Liaison performs Food-borne Illness and epidemiological investigations in establishments assigned to
the Hispanic liaison program. Assist and provide input in developing Policies and Procedures
(such as Division Standard Operating Procedures and inspection tips).
- The Liaison assists the Division with training. This may include training in various cultural and ethnic
foods and training new staff. The training may require public speaking engagements.
- The Liaison reports directly to the Program Supervisor for QA/QC.