EMPLOYEE BENEFITS ADVISORY COUNCIL (EBAC) UPDATES
The EBAC Updates page contains the latest benefits-related information of interest to HR liaisons:
- Open Enrollment Kick-Off Meeting Presentation, March 26, 2015
- Learn about changes in your benefit options for Plan Year 2015-16, and the importance of participating in an “Active” Open Enrollment. To attend a “What’s New With Your Benefits?” presentation near you, sign up through Pathlore, (intranet access required) and then search for “Benefits.” Click here for an electronic version of the flyer. You will have an opportunity to learn about changes in your benefit options for Plan Year 2015-16, and the importance of participating in an “Active” Open Enrollment. To attend a “What’s New With Your Benefits?” presentation near you, sign up through Pathlore, and then search for “Benefits.” Click here for an electronic version of the flyer.
Open Enrollment for Plan Year 2015-2016 is April 13 – May 8. It will be an ACTIVE enrollment this year. Benefits-eligible employees must take action to select the benefits they need or waive coverage.
Employees who do NOT take action to actively select their benefits or waive coverage will default into employee-only coverage in these plans:
- Cigna HMO Plan
- Catamaran Co-Insurance Prescription Plan
- Magellan Behavioral Health Plan
- Additionally, they will not be enrolled in the dental or vision plans
For more information on how to prepare for Open Enrollment, click here.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Change in Eligibility for Group Health Benefits
In response to the October 17, 2014 U.S. District Court ruling, same-sex marriage is now legal in Arizona, and same-sex couples legally married in other states are now recognized as legal spouses under Arizona law.
The eligibility rules for coverage under the Maricopa County Benefits Plan have been updated to allow employees to add their same-sex spouse and eligible dependents to coverage, provided all other eligibility requirements are met. (Click here for more information.)
FY 2013-14 Flexible Spending Accounts
September 15, 2014 was the deadline for active employees enrolled in the Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA) or the Limited Scope Flexible Spending Account (LSFSA) to incur expenses for which they could be reimbursed. Any funds remaining in either of these two accounts after September 15, 2014 were forfeited.*
November 30, 2014 is the deadline for active employees enrolled in the Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA) or the Limited Scope Flexible Spending Account (LSFSA) to submit claims for reimbursement of eligible expenses for services incurred between July 1, 2013 and September 15, 2014. Exceptions to the November 30, 2014 deadline are not permitted, so please take timely action to submit your reimbursement requests. Employees whose benefits terminate have their claims filing date limited to 60 calendar days from their benefit termination date.
*Note: Employees enrolled in the HCFSA for FY 2013-14 who then enrolled in the UnitedHealthcare High Deductible Health Plan for FY 2014-15 and opened up a Health Savings Account (H.S.A.) had only until June 30, 2014 to use all funds in their FY 2013-14 HCFSA. Due to IRS guidelines, an employee covered by a High Deductible Health Plan AND a HCFSA that pays or reimburses for qualified medical expenses generally cannot make contributions to an H.S.A, including the County contribution.
Cigna CareToday Clinics Closing
Cigna has notified us that their two remaining CMG CareToday clinics located at West Thomas Road and Downtown Phoenix (Central and Adams) will be closing as of Friday, November 14, 2014.
As an alternative, the onsite Take Care Health Center located on the second floor of the Administrative Building is available for your non-emergency medical needs, including vaccinations. There’s also the added convenience of the onsite pharmacy if you wish to have a prescription filled. When you need preventive or routine care, a visit to your primary care physician is always an option.
After Friday, November 7th, the Downtown CMG CareToday clinic will no longer be available to employees wanting to complete their Biometric and Non-Tobacco User Screenings. For the remainder of 2014, employees have the following options:
- They can attend a screening event at the Security Building, 234 N. Central Ave., 9th floor:
- Monday, November 10 | 11:30-4:00 pm
- Monday, December 15 | 11:30-4:00 pm
- They can attend a screening event at the Administration Building, 301 W. Jefferson St., Suite 160:
- Wednesday, December 3 | 11:30-4:00 pm
- Tuesday, December 30 | 11:30-4:00 pm
Aflac, ING, MetLife, Unum Voluntary Payroll Deductions Discontinued July 16, 2014
Voluntary benefits are insurance products that employees purchase through their organization at discounted rates. Several years ago Maricopa County made available voluntary benefits administered by Aflac (accident insurance), ING (critical illness and whole life insurance), MetLife (auto, home, and renters insurance), and Unum (term life insurance).
However, due to low employee participation, the County will no longer handle the payment of premiums for these insurance products through payroll deductions. This change is effective starting with the July 16, 2014 paycheck. Employees who want to continue enrollment in these insurance products should work directly with the vendor(s) to make other payment arrangements. The insurance vendors will be notifying affected employees of this change.
Please note that the Basic Life, Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Additional Life, Additional Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and Dependent Life insurance coverage provided by ING (aka as ReliaStar Life Insurance Company) offered as part of the County’s benefits package are not affected. Only critical illness and whole life insurance offered as voluntary benefits through ING will no longer have premiums processed as payroll deductions by the County.
Also, the Hyatt Legal Plan (legal insurance) is still available to employees.
For questions about the voluntary benefits, employees should contact the voluntary benefits vendors directly:
- Aflac: (800) 433-3036
- ING (800) 537-5024
- Met Life (800) 438-6388
- Unum (866) 679-3054
- Open Enrollment Kick-Off Meeting Presentation, March 24, 2014
- SUPPLEMENTAL LIFE INSURANCE REBATE
Employees enrolled in the Maricopa County Supplemental Life Insurance Plan (Additional Life Insurance) during Plan Years 2008-2012 qualify for a refund of a portion of their premium. For those who qualify, the refund will be issued on the February 26 paycheck. Attached is the letter that was sent to those individuals, and the frequently asked questions.
- LIFE INSURANCE PREMIUM RE-CALCULATION NOTICE
Life insurance premiums for employees enrolled in Additional Life and/or Spouse Life Insurance coverage are adjusted upward every year in January if there was a change in either their or their spouse’s age bracket. Employees affected by this change will be receiving the following communication in the mail early next week informing them of this change: A Life Insurance premium re-calculation letter, and a chart that lists the age brackets used for life insurance premium calculations. The higher premium will be collected starting with their January 15, 2014 paycheck.
- Health Care Marketplace Notice | Health Care Marketplace Letter to Maricopa County Employees (September, 2013)
- EBAC Meeting Presentation, March 20, 2013