(Information obtained from Preparing Adolescents for Young Adulthood (PAYA), Handbook for Skill Development, Massachusetts Department of Social Services – click here to visit website)
- Wash light and dark colored clothing separately.
- Read clothing labels for washing instructions. Some clothes must be "hand washed" or washed in cold water.
- Do not wash clothing marked "dry clean only."
- Follow the directions on the laundry detergent package which will tell you how much detergent and what water temperature to use.
- If shrinkage is a possibility, remember to use cold water.
- Use bleach carefully. It can discolor and damage clothing if not used properly. Read the directions on the bottle or box.
- "Color-safe" bleach is available for use on colored clothing.