HomepageContact Us (Popup Window)
Site Map | Search | Phone Directory | Departments | Services
Skip Navigation Links

Calendar of Events
<May 2015>

Current Location: Skip Navigation LinksHome | Get Set for Life | Careers | What's needed to work in the U.S.?

What's Needed to Work in the U. S.

Information that is generally required by an employer
Once you have accepted the job offer an employer will require the following:

Social Security card
  • An employer will generally require two forms of identification
    • Social Security card
    • Drivers License
    • Birth Certificate
    • Passport
    • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card
    • Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph
    • School ID card with a photograph
    • Voter’s registration card
    • U.S. Military card
    • Native American tribal document.
  • If you are under 18, the following may be accepted for identification:
    • School record or report card
    • Clinic, doctor or hospital record.

All documents must be unexpired. There may be other accepted documents, please see your employer.

Additionally, an employer may

  • require you to submit to a drug test and
  • may do a background check which could include
    • Criminal Record Search
    • Sexual Offender Database search
    • Motor Vehicle Report
    • Credit Check
    • Social Security Trace Search.

In addition to the above, some jobs require you to have specific Certifications / Cards. Click here to view the various types available.