Being successful in the business world means having a broad range of up-to-date software skills that will help to optimize business productivity. Computer skills refer to the ability to use the software and hardware of a computer. Being "computer functional" is usually what is meant by one with computer skills; computer literacy is only really evident in advanced computer skills.
Basic computer skills
- Knowing how to switch on the computer
- Being able to use a mouse to interact with elements on the screen
- Being able to use the computer keyboard
- Being able to shut down the computer properly after use
- Functional knowledge of word processing.
- How to use e-mail
- How to use Spreadsheets
- How to use Databases
- How to use the Internet
- Installing software
- Installing an operating system
- Navigating a computer's file systems.
Advanced skills include
- Use of a computer for scientific research
- Fixing software conflicts
- Repairing computer hardware
If you need training in Basic Computer Skills check with your local library, Maricopa County Workforce Connection, and Phoenix Workforce Connection for training classes.