Get Ready for Birth
Maricopa County WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors are available during your pregnancy and after birth:
Arizona Baby Steps to Breastfeeding Success
- Initiate breastfeeding within the first hour after birth.
- Avoid giving infants fluids or solids other than breast milk unless medically necessary.
- Promote 24-hour rooming-in, encouraging the family to recognize and respond to infant’s cues.
- Do not use a pacifier or artificial nipple with infants during the hospital stay.
- Give mothers a telephone number to call for help with breastfeeding.