Rabies in Arizona
In Arizona, rabies most commonly occurs in bats, skunk, and foxes, but any mammal can contract the disease.
Potential signs of a rabid animal:
- unstable or unusual behavior
- wild animal showing no fear of people
- nocturnal animals out during the day
- bats found on the ground
- attempts to bite people, pets, and/or livestock
If an animal exhibits any of these signs, contact Animal Control or the Health Department.
Statistics: Rabies in Arizona
For more information about rabies in Arizona, please visit the Arizona Department of Health Services
You can also learn more at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s web site on rabies
Arizona Game and Fish
has interesting information on urban Wildlife.
If you believe you may have been exposed to the rabies virus call
Animal Care and Control: (602) 506-7387 or
The Maricopa County Department of Public Health:
(602) 747-7500 (24 hours a day)