Lost & Found
MCACC operates two Centers that provide lost, found and adoption services for stray and unwanted dogs and cats.
Due to the large volume of animals we care for and variation in descriptions, we are unable to tell you over the phone or by email if we have your pet in our care. As we don’t want to give you wrong information, please visit our Care Centers every two days to look for your lost pet: 2500 S. 27th Avenue in Phoenix and 2630 W. 8th Street in Mesa.
Other places to look for your lost pet:
Here are some other things you can do to locate your lost pet:
- Post flyers in the neighborhood where the pet was lost. Ask elementary schools in your area if you can post a flyer - kids often notice animals. Feel free to use our Sample Flyer.
- Talk to your neighbors, letter carrier, and paper deliverer to see if anyone has spotted your pet.
- Place an ad in the local paper and offer a reward. Also check the found ads.
- Most important, keep looking for at least ten days. Many pets are found by members of the public who may not bring the animal in to a shelter for several days.
- The East Valley facility is located in Mesa at 2630 W. 8th Street (8th Street and the 101).
- The West Valley facility is located in Phoenix at 2500 S. 27th Avenue (27th Avenue and Lower Buckeye).
Here are some things you can do if you find a lost dog or cat:
- If the dog is wearing a current Maricopa County tag, call 602-506-PETS (7387) and follow the prompts to retrieve the owner’s phone number.
- If the dog or cat is wearing any other type of ID, attempt to contact the owner using the information on the ID.
- The animal can be scanned for a microchip by a local veterinarian or shelter (call the place you desire to take them to ensure that they have scanning capability).
- Post fliers in the neighborhood that you find the animal.
- Post the found animal on Petfinder, Pet Harbor, Craig’s List, etc.
- You can contact MCACC for a dog pick-up. We cannot pick-up cats.
- You can take the dog or cat to one of our shelters:
2500 S. 27th Avenue in PhoenixIn Arizona, the law states that if you keep a dog or cat and care for it for more than six consecutive days you automatically become the owner of the animal. We cannot pick-up owned animals
2630 W. 8th Street in Mesa.