Closure and Inspection Requirements
Arizona Administrative Code R-18-9-A309
Maricopa Environmental Health Code Chapter 2 Section 8
Closure requirements: A permit holder who permanently discontinues the use of or wishes to close an on-site-wastewater treatment facility (septic systems), or is ordered by the Director to close and abandon a facility shall:
- Submit a Public Record Request if the existing septic permit is unknown or not in the
possession of the current owner. The existing permit information is required before submitting a Closure/Abandonment Permit.
- Submit completed General Application, copy of deed, site plan to scale, any associated permit numbers, and $175 permit fee.
- Remove all sewage from the facility and dispose of it in a lawful manner.
- Disconnect and remove electrical and mechanical components.
- Cut and plug both ends of the abandoned sewer drain pipe between the building and the on-site wastewater treatment facility no more than five feet outside the building foundation, if practical, or cut and plug as close to each end as possible.
- Fill any disposal cavity (e.g. cess-pool, lined pit)
- Complete closure by either of the following two methods:
- Remove entire tank, call for inspection prior to backfilling cavity OR
- Remove and break tank lid, punch hole in bottom of tank and call for inspection
Abandonment/Closure inspection phone number:
Business Hours: 602-506-1787.
Have permit number available when you call.
- After inspection, approval and receipt of White Tag continue with construction.
- cavity or
- tank with approved material consisting of earth, sand, gravel, concrete or other approved fill material.
- Or submit completed abandonment affidavit. This affidavit must be completed by a licensed contractor.
- Regrade surface to provide positive drainage.
*If closure/abandonment is required during a repair or alteration, follow the directions in that construction permit to submit
Certification of Completion for the septic tank installation.
** EXTRA CHARGES WILL BE APPLIED FOR REPEAT INSPECTIONS **