Housing Authority of Maricopa County Advisory Committee
The mission of the Housing Authority of Maricopa County is to improve the quality of life of families and strengthen communities by developing and sustaining affordable housing programs; and to become a leading housing authority by exemplifying best practices, offering innovative affordable housing programs, and expanding accessibility throughout Maricopa County.
- 3rd Tuesday of Each Month
- Decembers Off
- Housing Authority of Maricopa County 8910 N 78th Avenue, Building D, Peoria, AZ 85345
|District 1||Kathy Di Nolfi||07/01/2017 - 06/30/2019|
|District 2||Jeffrey Schwartz||08/17/2016 - 06/30/2018|
|District 3||Jake Hinman||07/01/2017 - 06/30/2019|
|District 4||Lillian Mickey Lund||07/01/2016 - 06/30/2018|
|District 5||Gina Montes||07/01/2017 - 06/30/2019|
|County Manager Appointee||Kurt Sheppard||10/19/2016 - 06/30/2018|
|County Manager Appointee||Amy Schwabenlender||07/01/2017 - 06/30/2019|
|Resident Member||Rachel Springer||07/01/2017 - 06/30/2019|
|Resident Member||Flora Simmons||10/19/2016 - 06/30/2018|
|Non-Voting Member||Rachel Milne, Maricopa County
Human Services Department
|10/19/2016 - 06/30/2018|
Bylaws, Article II, Section 1
The Advisory Committee shall be comprised of at least 8, but not more than 10 members, including the following:
- Each member of the Housing Authority Board of Commissioners shall appoint 1 member
- the Maricopa County Manager shall appoint at least 1, but not more than 2 members
Housing Authority Board of Commissioners shall appoint at least 1 but
not more than 2 eligible resident committee members who must be:
- Category 1: A Housing Authority public housing resident and/or
- Category 2: A Housing Authority Section 8 recipient in good standing as required by federal law
In addition, there shall be 1 non-voting member appointed by the County Manager who is a current Maricopa County employee who administers CDBG/HOME grants. Appointed members must be formally appointed to the Advisory Committee by the Board of Commissioners.
Duties & Powers
Bylaws, Article IV
- Section 1. Housing Conditions Evaluation: The Advisory Committee shall review information and make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners regarding:
- Investigations into living, dwelling and housing conditions and into the means and methods of improving such conditions
- Determinations of where slum areas exist or where there is a shortage of decent, safe and sanitary dwelling accommodations for persons of low income
- Studies and recommendations relating to the problem of clearing, planning and reconstructing blighted areas
- Section 2. Public Education: The Advisory Committee shall assist with educating the general public, local municipal and County officials, housing providers, and related entities regarding affordable housing issues. The Advisory Committee shall act as a resource in the development of countywide housing policies and programming to expand the housing stock of the County.
- Section 3. Program Promotion; Partnerships: The Advisory Committee shall:
- Assist with furthering housing goals related to United States Department of Housing and Urban Development ("HUD") programming
- Support the Housing Authority to establish a strong public/private sector partnership via work with local 501 (c)(3) nonprofit and for-profit organizations to establish and implement the Housing Authority's goals and objectives
- Promote coordination of existing County and municipal programs and services as related to affordable housing
- Section 4. Research; Studies; Publications: The Advisory Committee shall assist the with promoting, engaging in, preparing and publishing without limitation, alone or in conjunction with any public or private entity or organization, or any charitable or non-profit entity or organization, or any governmental agency, research studies, surveys and any and all analysis pertaining to the provision of safe, sanitary and suitable living accommodations of any and every type and kind to all persons of low income. The Advisory Committee shall also advise with respect to educational materials for residents of housing communities operated by the Housing Authority.
- Section 5. Land Planning Recommendations: The Advisory Committee shall provide input and shall receive public input as the Board of Commissioners deems necessary to enable recommendations relating to County and regional planning efforts. This may include assisting with recommendations to the County related to planning for affordable housing in accordance with the County's comprehensive land-use plan adopted pursuant to A.R.S. § 11-821 et seq.
- Section 6. Board Assigned Duties: The Advisory Committee shall perform such additional duties as assigned by the Board of Commissioners.
- Section 7. Policies and Procedures: As may be required, the Advisory Committee shall comply with all Maricopa County central services policies, to the extent such policies are not in conflict with any regulations or requirements imposed by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development ("HUD").
The Authority was established by the Board of Supervisors on May 21, 2003, pursuant to A.R.S. §36-1404 and the advisory committee was established on December 13, 2010.